St Landry’s Oak
Quercus x ludoviciana
The St Landry’s oak is a naturally occurring hybrid found in 1913 growing in St Landry parish in Louisiana by Professor Sargent, a botanist at the Arnold Arboretum of Harvard University in Boston. Its parents are two deciduous oaks – the willow oak Quercus phellos and the Turkey-foot oak Quercus falcata – both native to eastern North America.
The amazing feature of this tree is its growth rate and form. The tree was received from Hillier’s Nursery (UK) in 1949 and planted in Pear Park in 1951. It now has a canopy spread of over 40 metres, a height of 29 metres and occupies a space of over 34,000 cubic metres.