In 1945 Douglas Cook and Bill Crooks decided to plant 10 hectares of land on what was to become Douglas Park.
However, a lengthy drought followed and the whole planting failed. Douglas took it as a judgement and did not go back to replant until 1949. At this point the material from England had begun to arrive in quantity. Today the focal point of the valley is the marvellous collection of oak species around the main tracks that make up Douglas Park.